Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Question

Does God ever say, "meh" or, "I could go either way."?

I'm reading a book right now the gist of which is to purposefully do all things to please God. So, as I go about my day I am to ask myself, "does this please the Lord?" I get the idea, and I don't disagree. But I do wonder if God really is concerned about every little thing I do or say. I mean, on the one hand I know He cares because he loves me and created me and has a beautiful plan for me, but does he care if I put mascara on one day or what kind of car I drive or if my toilet is clean or any number of other mundane things that happen in a day? I certainly don't want to do things that I know would displease him, but can some things be just neutral or does everything boiled down, at its core, have some moral significance? What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. That is a good question. Personally, I don't think God cares about mascara and clean toilets.

BUT. I wonder (and this is just me, wondering aloud) if the question should be, not "does this PLEASE the Lord" but "does this GLORIFY the Lord?"

Ooooo! Look at all of the stuff that WE can let go when we stop trying to PLEASE him and instead focus on GLORIFYING him!

Thoughts?
xoxo

Heather said...

I'm gonna mull that one over. Interesting point.

Unknown said...

I think the answer to this question is very personal in that each action, from the vitally important to the mundane, varies in importance in reference to our relationship to God. I think that every person has different struggles, weaknesses, and such. Thus, those things that we struggle with may mean different responses based on our actions. I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, but I will try to provide an example. If someone really struggles with laziness and a lack of care for things like cleaning and caring for the things that they have, then it may be more important for that person to practice discipline in caring for that which God has given to them even in the simple act of making themselves clean or keep up with what God has provided them. Does that make any sense? Just some thoughts.