Friday, June 15, 2007

Suffering

Is suffering our calling? It was Christ's calling. Should we expect more, better, different. Maybe the latter if anything. And yet it seems our suffering is part of our brotherhood with Him. We "share" in His suffering and get closer to Him and others are drawn to Him. The sin and suffering in the world is often what makes people put up their walls against God. They claim this self preservation as "goodness". We are "good" and a "good" God would not allow this and that. How prideful are we? God who sent His Son - in fact ordained the slaughter of His son before the world began - has clearly said that there is a place for suffering. And HE is the only One who has been or ever will be GOOD! So, as I sit here and try to make sense of the suffering I have seen and have yet to see, but know will come, I wonder. I wonder how and why and if and when. I wonder where and who and what and then... I rest. I rest in Him. The almighty creator. The Alpha and Omega, beginning and end. My Maker, Sustainer, Redeemer and Friend. My sweet Prince of Peace.



"This suffering is all part of what God has called you to. Christ, who suffered for you, is your example. Follow in His steps."

1Peter 2:21 NLT



So, to all the "what would Jesus do" talk (which sort of annoys me, but I digress) we can say that He would suffer. He would not "pursue happiness" in it's colloquial sense. And are we not all going to suffer? Whether you know the Lord or not you will have awful stuff happen in your life. If you don't know the Lord your suffering is just suffering. It holds no purpose or meaning. If you know the Lord it is your opportunity to commune with your suffering saviour. To reflect on the amazing, glorious grace it took for him to suffer on your behalf. It is your chance to point others to Him. It is beautiful. It is...dare I say it... good.


Listen to Up To The Mountain (MLK Song) by Patty Griffin : http://free.napster.com/player/tracks/19177072

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, and thanks for adding me to your blog roll. I just returned the favor.

Sherri
www.everydaymiracle.wordpress.com

Heather said...

Thanks Sherri! I LOVE your writing. I recently found your blog through Tara Livesay and have been devouring all the old posts ever since.