Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Enemy

I have been a Christian since I was 6 years old. I know that Satan is the enemy. Culturally though, we don't talk about him much or give him much credit for anything. Lately I have been trying to decide what exactly he can and can't do. It seems every time I set about to do something for the Lord things go wonky. Some examples: I decide I will do devotions with my kids first thing in the morning, and whammo the next morning somebody is sick. Or I start to think we should begin another adoption and for sure that day will be a horrible parenting day. The kids will drive me insane and I'll yell or something and think, how could I have more when I can't even handle the ones I have? I don't know if satan has anything to do with this stuff, but I do know that God is my shield and protection. So, I have been actually making myself say out loud, "Lord protect us from the enemy. Don't let us be intimidated by his pitiful tactics. Be our defender." Honestly, it feels awkward, but I do feel peaceful and strong when I just give everything back to God. So I end up glad I said it - like I just needed to get it out in the open. I know we wrestle not against flesh and blood! I don't want to give satan too much credit, but I also don't want to pretend like he doesn't exist "prowling around like a roaring lion looking for some victim to devour." 1Peter 5:8 NLT

I have often heard people say that if you are feeling opposition then you are probably headed in the right direction. I guess that is encouraging... in a scary sort of way(:

"Take a firm stand against him (the devil) and be strong in your faith."
1Peter 5:9

No comments: