Monday, January 7, 2008

The Future??

I would like to be a long term planner. I enjoy knowing what is on the horizon and I DO NOT like surprises - unless they involve parties or presents! Oddly, apparently God knows this about me and chooses to keep me in the dark when it comes to what I will be doing next year, next decade, or sometimes even next week. It used to annoy me. I would ask Him nicely to give me a hint, but He would have none of it. Then I would beg and whine and He would get more firm by asking, "do you trust Me?". So, at that point anything other than letting it go into His hands would be faithless disobedience. I'd like to say I never went there, but alas, I am one of His most strong willed children. I am sure of it.

So recently I was wondering what my "calling" was. You know, like what big, huge, earth shattering thing was God going to do with my life next. I get that way sometimes when I look around at what others are doing for the Lord. It's really dumb, and ultimately is rooted in pride. I recognize this - so please don't feel the need to point it out(: Anyway, God showed me a few things once I was quiet for more than ten seconds. First, I am called to serve my family. THEY are my mission field. I need to spend more time figuring out ways to make them feel cherished and adored. I need to pray for wisdom in how to be good wife and mother. On a practical note I have always always always struggled with cooking. I HATED having to think up what was for dinner every night and often would just call Jay and have him pick something up. One of my new years resolutions was to figure out a way to make healthy and yummy meals for my family, shop with a menu to avoid over spending, and keep eating out to a minimum. Someone had emailed me this website - http://www.menus4moms.com/ - and wonder of wonders it is working! I love the feeling of making dinner for my family. It is quite new for me, and the family seems happy.

On a broader scale, there are things that EVERY Christian is called to. And so I started looking up verses with the phrase "to this you were called" or something like it. This is by no means an exhaustive list and doesn't cover everything we are asked to do, it is just a part of what our walk with the Lord should encompass. They are, in no particular order:

Suffering - 1Peter 2:21
Freedom - Galatians 5:13
Guarding the gospel - 2 Timothy 1:9
Perseverance - 1Timothy 6:12
Repentance - Luke 5:32
For God's Purposes - 2 Timothy 1:9, Romans 8:28
Glory - 2 Thessalonians 2:14

This is just scratching the surface people! So, if God never revealed another single thing about my "calling", or what my future holds should this not be enough to tide me over??? And maybe, just maybe God wants me to grasp these things a little more fully BEFORE He tries adding anything to my plate! What a patient and loving Father I have.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Heather... Really an awesome post. Bet there are opportunities for you to mentor other Moms. Does your church have a Women's ministry? Being a wife and Mom is a major calling though and you're so blessed to have Jason come along side of you.