Monday, March 19, 2007

Feeling burdened?

Then Jesus said, "Come to me all you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light."
Matthew 11:28-30 NLT


My pastor recently spoke about burdens. He found it troubling that many Christians suffer "burn out" and reminded us of Jesus' words "my yoke is easy and my burden is light". He then went on to describe how as a carpenters son, Jesus would've understood very well the process of measuring, making and fitting a yoke to an ox. It would be designed to fit and not put pressure or wear in any one spot. So when Jesus says his yoke is easy it would indicate that we should not feel burdened. The yoke He has given us to carry should suit us well. Perhaps our "burn out" comes from carrying something that He has not asked us to carry. Are you carrying something that He didn't give to you? And think of the illustration of the tree bearing fruit. Does the branch have to grunt and groan in order to produce a grape? Of course not. It is a natural result of the branch being attached to the vine. So, as we fellowship with the Lord, spend time in His word and in prayer our fruit comes naturally. If we have sore spots I guess it indicates one of two things - we are carrying some other ox's yoke, or we haven't been spending enough time with the carpenter getting fitted for ours!

"Remain in me and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful apart from me."

John 15:4 NLT

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Heather... I think you might consider being a writer. Your devotional thoughts are awesome. You might enjoy reading Don Pucik's blog from time to time. http://crosspointman.blogspot.com/index.html

Heather said...

Lindsay, you are too sweet. Glad to hear from you - it will be fun to keep in touch a little more(:
Love,
Heather